Friday, September 3, 2010

HOW I LIVE SIMPLE

So I am trying this new concept….living simple. Some may think that that means living frugally or cheap but I guess it depends how you see things.


Ever since I got married I have been trying to find a good balance of keeping the house clean, working, and still enjoy my 20’s. Because I am a newly wed, it was hard to balance the unpacking, the remodeling, fixing and decorating of our new house. We planned a wedding and bought a house all in 4 month's time. It was exciting but also draining. I felt like most of that summer's weekends were consumed by projects around the house. I wanted my house to be nice and warm…but it just wasn’t working out that way. Somehow I quickly manage to get every closet full of stuff because I felt like we needed EVERYTHING! And I think I felt that the more stuff I had the more “homey” our house would look.

Well after an exhausting year of projects I was just about done with the house! The more we fixed the more that broke…well not really, but it just never ended.

In March I got a real bad case of acid reflux, stomach issues. I’ve had reflux episodes in the past that usually cleared up on their own after a few weeks. But this time it was different, I couldn't get better. My stomach would hurt when I would eat and I constantly needed to burp but the burps would take forever to come out. I started to get really anxious about eating outside of my home. Slowly I just couldn't function right, I didn’t ever want to go out and I never wanted to do anything around the house.

The problem was that I was feeling so sick and then I’d look around my home and didn’t know where to start, there was so much stuff (I mean there really wasn’t, probably not much more then any other ordinary household but I was sick and it just seem so overwhelming.)

Soon I started to realized that my Saturday was for laundry and cleaning, Sunday was the one day anything goes…Sundays were my day to do anything I wanted, but Monday through Friday I had to work. After work I'd come home, clean up whatever I could in about 1 hour, make dinner, shower, relax and then, once again, get ready for the next day of work. So really, the only day I had free to do anything was Sunday.

This just seemed so wrong! How could I just get one day to myself?? I love to read and I love to sew and do creative projects, why couldn’t I do that stuff?…or more like, when will I get to do that stuff?!! I got a really nice digital picture frame from my cousin I was SOOOO excited, here it was, months later, and I still hadn’t found time for it.

This lead to the way I want to live my life…I want to live simple so that I have time to live!! I don’t want to have soooo much clothes that I spend most of my Saturday washing and hanging when I could be doing stuff I love.

Since then I’ve started to read books. I have a library card and check out books all the time. I only buy books if I feel that I might refer back to them, such as "Skinny bitch." I really enjoyed that book. I hope to share more about that later in my posts. I also spend more time with family, going over for dinner or just going to the beach.

I go through my things on a daily basis and put stuff aside to donate. Slowly my closet is shrinking. I actually have some room now to look through my clothes.
I’ve also started to make cute little projects and decorations for parties. I can’t wait to start posting all my work!!
Living simpler should give me more time to do the things I want to do. I SAID “LIVING SIMPLIER” because I'm not saying I’m going to be stingy or deprive my self of things. I will get and do what I really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment